Thursday, December 22, 2011

The day before, the day before

Wow, can you believe Christmas is almost here? This year is a non-event at our house. Since we have no children/grandchildren we are not decorating. We don't have to be anywhere for the first time in over 12 years. A three day weekend. I see a movie or two in my future.

And, I have a stack of samples to make for the Kitsap Quilters show in February. My stress level will greatly increase January 1 2nd.

I would like to share another favorite Christmas story. I'm sure it's in the top three.

In October of xx, I retired from the Navy and came home (I wanted to go somewhere else, but my Mom & Dad wanted me home). So, I moved in. Time goes on.

My Mom and her friends Jeff & Mary were trying to 'fix me up' with someone, but that someone was seeing someone else. So, in February of  xx, we finally got to meet. We spoke on the phone to get acquainted, later on we decided to meet for a movie (VHS? DVD? don't remember) but we chose "Something about Mary". Definitely not my idea of a first date movie. But I digress. So I hear a knock at the door, and what do I see? This tall, skinny guy in a jeans jacket with longish blonde hair. Ahhh.

Fast forward a few years.

So, here I am spending the night before the night before Christmas at my (now) serious boyfriend's house. I woke up, threw on my robe and went downstairs in my wild hair early morning glory to make coffee. The next thing I know, this skinny (well, at least five pounds heavier) guy came down in his sweats and his wild hair glory to join me. Next thing I know, he is down on one knee and asking me 'the question'. Of course I said yes!

Now for the ring.

A year or so earlier my watch battery died. So, we went off to the mall (eeek) and stopped at Zales to get it repaired. So, I love sapphires and always look at them. Well, we wandered around the cases and I saw a diamond and sapphire ring in with the wedding rings. It was so pretty. But, I didn't need it (well I did, but I wasn't in the market for a ring, just a battery).

Refer back to the 'So, here I am' paragraph.

Little did I know that he went back to the store (amazing since he hates the mall and shopping in general) and bought that ring! He even had it sized. Pretty confident, eh? He hid it in the garage for over one year! He kept moving it because he thought I'd find it. Really, I am frightened in the garage. Lots of stuff and spiders. I don't like the webs! He told me he thought he might forget where he hid it.

So, now I'm an engaged woman. We called my parents to meet for breakfast (without spilling the beans) and I nonchalantly flashed my ring...my Mom and Dad starting laughing--they already knew!!

Merry Christmas Deano. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Awww I love a good Christmas story and throw in a bit or romance as well and I am a gonna - lovely - thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete